A simpler way to manage district boundaries
Boundary editing can be a slow, inefficient and error-prone process. Where areas are hierarchical – for example, parish to district to county to region – even a small, local change quickly becomes a large and complex data management task. This is even more complex where the system is only partially hierarchical and local deviations are required.
Manipulating large, high resolution datasets requires massive processing power and many of today’s inflexible tools demand a disproportionate degree of expert intervention to maintain the data.
Minimise memory and manpower needs
The accuracy and integrity of administrative boundaries is critical. Changes to this foundation data can affect the legal rights of citizens and the allocation of government funds.
Yet, change is constant. Boundaries are changed by law, but they are also altered by changes to real world features – coastlines erode, streams and rivers change course.
GPS surveying technology adds an additional layer of change. As the location of physical features gets more accurately defined, their position relative to other features can change. Historical boundary definitions need to be updated.
Maintaining data integrity is vital, but even small local boundary changes can become hugely complex data maintenance projects. A steady stream of incremental changes requires an ongoing, resource-heavy process of updates.
1Spatial technology takes you beyond the traditional, brute force approach to managing this.
The 1Spatial Management Suite (1SMS) includes specific functionality to handle the demands of editing and managing large, complex hierarchical boundary datasets.
It combines the following key elements:
- Efficient memory and processing power management
- User-defined, automated rules that reach beyond topology to manage data changes according to your unique needs
- On-the-fly validation to quickly identify exceptions for expert intervention
Our approach makes best use of all your resources: computing power and skilled personnel.
It delivers the flexibility to deviate where necessary and the constraint to avoid inadvertent errors.
Ultimately, we help you maintain trust in your data.
Managing boundaries with 1SMS
We have a long history of working with national mapping agencies, cadastral agencies and other users of complex geospatial data around the world.
Our clients include: Ordnance Survey Great Britain, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Property Registration Authority of Ireland, the US Census Bureau, the UK Ministry of Defence, the National Trust, a selection of German Mapping Authorities, Swedish Maritime Administration, Land Information New Zealand and the Australian Capital Territory (ACT).
We enjoy long-term partnerships with many of these agencies and help them manage data assets of critical national importance.
Our experience is baked into 1SMS which enables organisations to:
- Save time and money on critical but time-consuming boundary data projects
- Easily edit shared boundaries with our topologically-aware, one-touch editing tool
- Minimise the time that critical boundary data is unavailable to users
- Automate routine changes but quickly take control for unique scenarios
- Quickly validate results and identify exceptions
- Efficiently process large and complex geospatial datasets
- Create and maintain their own rules to validate data according to specific, local requirements
- Automatically recognise and safely merge spatially disjoint changes
- Pre-set changes to take effect at a future, pre-determined time
- Make effective use of experts’ time with on-the-fly validation
To learn more about how 1Spatial can help you efficiently maintain confidence in your critical boundary data, contact us